News Emirates: Discover Dubai Book Haven 10 Libraries to Explore
There nothing quite like getting lost in the pages of a great book, especially during the winter season. Luckily, Dubai offers a wide range of public and private libraries for book lovers to dive into. Whether you're seeking a quiet nook to read or eager to explore new titles, here a comprehensive guide to Dubai top spots for your next literary adventure.
Who Can Join Dubai Libraries? All Dubai residents and UAE citizens are eligible to borrow books from public libraries. To become a member, you'll need to sign up and pay the applicable fees. Some libraries may allow non-members to read on-site.
How to Register for Library Membership? Adult public library memberships start at AED 200, with children memberships at AED 75. Family memberships are available for AED 250. Registration typically requires a copy of your Emirates ID along with the membership fee. Once approved, you'll receive a digital membership card.
Borrowing Books: How Does It Work? Depending on your membership, you can borrow books from public libraries for 28 to 35 days. Adults can borrow up to 15 titles at a time, kids can take out 10, and families can enjoy 25 books.
Now that you're familiar with how library memberships work, let's explore some of Dubai finest reading havens:
1. Al Rashidiya Library: Nestled near Al Rashidiya Park, this cozy library boasts a vast collection of books from popular authors. It features a dedicated children section with a reading hall, activity room, and audiovisual facilities.
2. Al Safa Art and Design Public Library: Perfect for art enthusiasts, this library was transformed in 2018 to serve as a creative hub. The serene indoor area offers plenty of light and a wide selection of books for adults and kids, including those focused on architecture, interior design, and modern art.
3. Al Twar Library: With an impressive 68,033 titles, this library caters to avid readers. It also features a fantastic children section, an outdoor garden area for reading, and delightful annual events.
4. Beach Libraries: Experience the joy of reading by the beach. The Beach Library Project offers self-service libraries at Kite Beach, Al Mamzar Beach, and Jumeirah Beach, providing plenty of books for borrowing.
5. Hatta Public Library: Located at the foot of Al Wadi Park, this library serves residents on the outskirts of Dubai. With over 70,000 titles, a dedicated bus shuttle, and a versatile multipurpose hall, it a comprehensive reading destination.
6. Hor Al Anz Library: Designed to provide the Deira community access to books, this family-friendly library offers a wide range of Arabic and English titles. Visitors can enjoy the outdoor cafeteria and its tasty treats while studying or relaxing.
7. Jameel Art Centre: Beyond its appeal to art lovers, Jameel Art Centre houses the Jameel Library, featuring an impressive collection of English and Arabic books. The library hosts workshops, reading events, and seminars led by experts.
8. Mohammed Bin Rashid Public Library: Recognizable by its iconic open-book design in Al Jaddaf, this seven-story library covers 54,000 square meters. It offers themed rooms, a vast book collection, and digital resources, making it a literary treasure trove.
9. The Old Library: Managed by volunteers for over 50 years, this non-profit library sustains itself through subscription fees and second-hand book sales. It provides a cozy atmosphere with armchairs and 25,000 books, including fairytales, fiction, non-fiction, biographies, and children literature.
10. Umm Suqeim Library: Catering to diverse readers, this public library offers an extensive book selection, including history, literature, religion, medicine, and more. It equipped with facilities for scholars and researchers, a dedicated children section, and engaging annual library camps.
Additional Information: Private libraries have their own membership fees and processes, so it advisable to inquire directly with your chosen library. If you prefer digital reading, the Dubai Municipality offers a comprehensive e-library service as part of the Dubai Smart Government program.